October 21, 2018
Portland Harbor Superfund Site || EPA Releases Proposed Explanation of Significant Differences || Public Comments Due by November 21st
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has released a proposed Explanation of Significant Differences (ESD) for the Portland Harbor Superfund site for a 30-day public comment period ending on November 21, 2018.
EPA has also prepared a shorter summary of the proposed ESD.
What does the proposed ESD do? This proposed ESD documents EPA’s plan for changing some of the cleanup levels for one of the contaminants of concern (carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons or cPAHs) in the selected remedy for the Portland Harbor Superfund Site.
Why is there a proposed ESD? An updated health risk assessment from EPA’s Integrated Risk Information System shows that benzo(a)pyrene or BaP (a type of carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon or cPAH) is less toxic for people who contact or ingest the chemical than previously thought. EPA must consider how this updated information affects the final cleanup plan (also known as the Record of Decision or ROD) in the proposed ESD because cPAHs are a contaminant of concern for the Site.
How do I provide comments on the proposed ESD? There are two options for providing comments to EPA on the proposed ESD by November 21, 2018:
1. Send comments via e-mail to EPA at HarborComments@epa.gov
2. Mail comments to EPA using the following address: Attn: Portland Harbor Superfund Comments, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 805 SW Broadway, Suite 500, Portland, OR 97205
How do I get more information?
1. Please read EPA Region 10’s news release about this announcement (full text is
2. Register for EPA’s webinar on the proposed ESD on Thursday, November 1st
3. Come to an in-person EPA community information session on the proposed ESD on Tuesday, November 20th from 6-8:
4. Please visit EPA’s Portland Harbor website for the most up-to-date information and materials about this proposed ESD
5. View Hard Copies of the Proposed ESD: To view a hard copy of the Proposed ESD, please visit the Multnomah County Central Library (801 SW 10th Avenue – please check library hours), the St. Johns Library (7510 N. Charleston Avenue – please check library hours), the Kenton Library (8226 N. Denver Avenue – please check library hours), or the EPA Region 10 Oregon Operations Office (805 SW Broadway, Suite 500 – please call 503-326-3250 to schedule a viewing appointment).