EPA’s Final Explanation of Significant Differences (ESD): After reviewing and responding to input from over 1,100 commenters, the United States Environmental Protection Agency has issued the final Explanation of Significant Differences (ESD) that identifies changes to the Selected Remedy in the 2017 Record of Decision (ROD) at the Portland Harbor Superfund Site. This ESD occurred because EPA’s Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS) issued a reduction in the cancer calculation for benzo(a)pyrene which is a polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) and a contaminant of concern at the Site. No substantive changes were made from the Proposed ESD to this Final ESD. The full ESD and other supporting documents are now available at the links below:
- Two-page fact sheet for the Final ESD: https://semspub.epa.gov/src/document/10/100193522
- Full Final ESD for the Portland Harbor Superfund Site*: https://semspub.epa.gov/work/10/100194028.pdf
- Please note that this final ESD includes a responsiveness summary (in Appendix B starting on page 162 of 500) where EPA replied to all the comments on the proposed ESD.
- Administrative Record for the Final ESD*: https://semspub.epa.gov/src/collection/10/AR66212
- The Administrative Record is a collection of documents (including all public comments received) that informed EPA’s final ESD decision.